The Tysons Chamber is seeking a visionary leader, advocate, and ambassador to serve as Executive Director. This person will serve as the key representative for the Tysons Chamber and will represent the Tysons Chamber to numerous partners and fellow membership organizations.
Attributes and Responsibilities:
In seeking the ideal candidate for this role, candidates with who possess the following characteristics and attributes will be best suited.
- Ethics: Manage and maintain the Tysons Chamber, its positive public image, and its strong ethical foundation;
- Growth-Mindset: Utilize the Tysons Chamber’s unique role as an asset of Fairfax County to further develop and market the Tysons Chamber’s brand, build and strengthen relationships with the local business community, foster a shared sense of ownership and community pride among constituents, and enhance the Tysons Chamber’s footprint in our business community;
- Fundraiser: Be an energetic fundraiser with experience in proposal & sponsorship writing;
- Ambassador: Membership cultivation who will work to increase the Tysons Chamber’s membership and attendance to our events;
- Networking and Development: Usher the Tysons Chamber through a period of growth and transition, including prioritizing financial and networking development as well as the strategic framework for the long-term success of the Tysons Chamber, including strategies for recruiting new members to the chamber and the creation of a strategic and development plan;
- Marketing: Develop creative strategies using social media to improve public knowledge, value, understanding, confidence in, and support of the Tysons Chamber;
- Membership Awareness: Actively evaluate and respond to membership needs in regard to Tysons Chamber services and operations;
- Cultivate Volunteers: Engage with and foster the support of the Tysons Chamber’s critical volunteers and membership bases;
- Positive Attitude: Be persuasive, persistent, positive and creative in pursuit of the Tysons Chamber’s goals.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for short- and long-term Tysons Chamber growth and development;
- Provide the Tysons Chamber with strategic, collaborative leadership, effective management, and vision guided by its mission;
- Prepare an annual budget for review and approval by the Board;
Development & Fundraising:
- Develop and implement opportunities to increase membership revenues including fundraising projects, event sponsorships, membership drives, donor cultivation, retail initiatives, and other funding opportunities beyond traditional sources;
Membership & Advocacy:
- Grow Revenue: Develop and implement opportunities to increase Membership and attendance at Tysons Chamber events.
- Amplify Reach: Expand our visibility within the community including, programs, special events, partnerships, and other creative strategies for engaging community members and other groups, increasing membership;
- Organize: Prepare and present an annual report to the Board and membership;
- Represent: Attend local city meetings to remain informed and to be an advocate for Chamber Members. Also, share information with the Board regarding Tysons-specific changes.
- Board of Directors:
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop and implement professional standards of operation, policies, procedures, and ethical guidelines;
- Hold full management responsibility for all staff, services, and activities;
- Maintain and use Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as Google products (Google docs, Google sheets, Google slides), providing guidance to staff or Directors if needed.
- Manage the development and implementation of Tysons Chamber goals, objectives, and priorities and recommend and administer the policies and procedures required for their accomplishment;
- Act as the liaison between the Board of Directors and the staff, the membership, community, local and regional governments, including boards and commissions therein, professional organizations, other businesses, the press, and the public;
- Attend and represent the Tysons Chamber at member ribbon cuttings, etc.
- Participate in partnership roles and disseminate relevant information to the Board of Directors and Committee Leaders; such as Northern Virginia Chamber Partnership and Regional Women’s Circle of Influence.
- Take a proactive role in the recruitment and ongoing professional development of our Membership;
- Present monthly orientations and attend most events hosted by the Chamber, including, but not limited to After Work Mixers, Business Growth Workshops, Special Events, and more.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Staff: The Executive Director directly oversees and manages all staff and their collateral processes and other functions as appropriate.
- Board: The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors through the Chairman of the Board and/or POC and is required to maintain active communication with members of the Board of Directors and its committees.
- Members: The Executive Director will be required to collaborate and adhere to agreements established between the Tysons Chamber and our Membership.
- Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred;
- Financial Development:
- Successful experience with strategic planning, fundraising, sustainable financial development, and financial management;
- Experience seeking and securing funding from business sources and public and private foundations;
- Work Experience:
- Previous ED experience;
- Previous management and leadership experience, preferably in a corporate or non-profit environment;
- Experience with change management;
- Experience with/ability to demonstrate an understanding of the operations, services, and activities of a comprehensive Tysons Chamber program/events.
- Communication Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience with community engagement and outreach;
- Experience with/ability to demonstrate an understanding of the legal and ethical issues specific to Tysons Chamber;
This is a full-time position. Salary is negotiable based upon experience with a range of $60,000-$70,000 plus commissions and bonuses.
To be considered for this position, please email Virginia Case, Chair of the Board of Directors with your resume and a coverletter explaining why you believe Tysons is poised to America’s Next Great City.
Member Services Coordinator
- 30 hours per week
- Paid hourly rate of $15-20 per hour
- Must be able to attend occasional morning or afternoon/evening events
The Tysons Regional Chamber of Commerce is one of the most robust Chambers of Commerce in Northern Virginia. We are seeking an outgoing, highly-organized, detail-oriented member services coordinator to help serve our members.
This role will be responsible for the daily operations of the chamber, assisting with special events, communicating with the Board of Directors and Executive Director/President, engaging members in response and through proactive outbound communications.
As the sole administrative support for this organization, the ideal candidate will have great attention to detail and excel in project management. They will be a team-player but will take initiative, responding to a fast-paced environment.
- Provide administrative and on-site support for programs and events
- Prepare meeting spaces and coordinate catering needs and space set-up
- Coordinate meeting schedule for committee members, assemble meeting packets, etc.
- Answers and efficiently responds to all incoming phone calls and emails related to information about services and the community-at-large
- Assist the membership and ambassador committee by providing information about retention, renewal, and delinquencies
- Engage current and prospective members through outbound communications using email, phone, and social media
- Greet all visitors and members to the office, maintaining appropriate office hours
- Increase following on social media and networking sites, engaging members daily/weekly
- Support Board of Directors with new collateral build outs for membership and sponsorship opportunities
- Write, edit, and send all email marketing and promotion of events
- Create press releases and engage the press for publicity opportunities
- Update the website as needed with relevant dates and events
- Proficiency in WordPress, MS Office Suite, an email marketing platform, i.e. constant contact
- Ease with learning new software programs i.e., Chamber Master
- Graphic Design experience a plus
Attributes of a Successful Candidate
- Extraordinary organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrates initiative and can-do, upbeat attitude
- Follows through on commitments
- Demonstrated sense of urgency by prioritizing tasks appropriately and managing time well
- Contributes as a team player; listening and taking direction well
Additional Desirable Attributes
- Undergraduate degree in business, marketing or related field
- Advanced knowledge of digital marketing and social networking platforms
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking to fill this position before 3/1/18.